Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Promise for the New Year

I'm not a big fan of New Year's Resolutions. I hate going to the gym or Bikram after New Years, as it's always filled with people who are just trying to fulfill a resolution for a quick fix (for the most part - and I say this because come mid-February, and the gym is back to its normal, quieter self).

It seems like resolutions are never something that is kept - and if they are kept (hats off to you!), it's done more out of obligation versus feeling good about it (I've been SO guilty of groaning, "Ugh, I don't want to go to the damn gym, but I made that stupid resolution and don't want to be a quitter.").

This year though, rather than make a resolution, which I feel like is becoming one of those cliche things, I want to promise myself something.



I really need to love myself more, and I want to promise myself that I will try every day to love myself. 

I'm ridiculously hard on myself, as I'm sure a lot of us are. There are times that I joke that I'm my own worst enemy, when it's actually not funny - I truly am my own hardest critic, and there are times when I am downright nasty to myself. I call it being a perfectionist, when really, I'm just being a mean, brutal bitch - but towards myself, not towards anyone else, which is so damaging. This year I feel like I've let body image really take a hold on my life in a negative way, and that's something that I truly need to combat to be happy with myself inside and out.



I want to promise myself that I will be okay with myself even when I mess up and eat three cookies instead of going to the gym.

I want to stop staring at my reflection and pick on all the things that I don't like about myself, but instead find the things about me that I do like.

I want to be okay with the fact that I do need to work a little harder now to stay in shape.

I want to focus on the things I'm good at - teaching, being financially responsible, having a decent sense of humor - instead of thinking of all the things I'm awful at.

I want to wear a bikini this summer without feeling like I need to run 6 miles beforehand.

I want to go somewhere wearing minimal makeup and genuinely not caring about if anyone has anything to say.

I want to eat carbs and focus on how delicious they are, not about how much I'm going to have to work out afterwards.

I want to drink less during the week - more water, less booze.

I want to express how I'm feeling and not hold back - I struggle with feeling like my feelings/emotions are valid, and so I often hold back, which is emotionally damaging (and unhealthy/unfair - especially in my relationships).

I want to eat more fruits and vegetables (and make more green juice!), because I feel really freaking good whenever I eat more of these things.

I want to feel so good about myself that it radiates - not because I'm so arrogant that I don't see where I need to change, but because I'm okay with my strengths and weaknesses balancing out.

*~*


These are not going to be quick fixes - but I really want to focus on reshaping my view of myself for this new year - with more positivity that I truly believe will manifest into so many other areas of my life.


I truly hope that you all had a beautiful holiday, and that your New Year's Eve is equally wonderful and sparkly (I will be ignoring the "drink less during the week" thing for NYE, but will be very sparkly, so it evens out, right?). I also hope that you make realistic resolutions/goals to better yourselves, because you are all truly wonderful and beautiful people, inside and out!


xox

Currently: Watching Bar Rescue, which I have been doing for HOURS. Ah! 

15 comments:

The Dainty Dolls House said...

oooh...i loved this!! doll, you are marvellous & you are enough!!! A stunning beauty inside and out!! know it, feel it and believe it!! You were created with love. This world is so in need of more people that just love and accept themselves for who they are. I have spent many years of my life believing i wasn't worth anything due to my Mother's cruel nature to me, and other abusive situations that have occurred in different times. But, after a long time, i have finally realized that i am enough, and I am a good person. And it doesn't matter if i eat another bit of cake, haha. I am still great and deserving of looking in the mirror and loving what I see. I'm not perfect, no one is, but this is the best part. We are not meant to be perfect, we are just meant to be ourselves and to shine bright. Once you get that thinking into your mind and heart, you will become stronger and the world will have less to say that you take notice of. I think your stunning and a very sweet person & someone i would most definitely hang out with if we lived closer to each other (damn ocean ;) But, look to the New year with the thought that you are a great person, beautiful and just perfect the way you are & say it to yourself every day or when negative things try to creep in, soon you will have accepted it, know it and feel it and be unstoppable!! I hope you have a marvellous New year doll, may it be the best one yet!! Lots of love & hugs to you!! xxxx

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I love this so much! It's so true - I mean when did we get so hard on ourselves? I'm going to try to do this too! :) Hope you have the happiest new year!

Nicole Linette said...

Ally,

I'm glad you enjoyed my use of 'capricious'! Haha, it's actually one of my favorite words.

I'm on board with you: resolutions are a farse. I think we can decide any day to reform ourselves, this just happens to be a convenient marker. I'm sorry this year didn't pan out for you as you had hoped-- but you are so wise, humorous, generous, and kind! The difference that you've made for your students goes unsaid; you are a gorgeous woman inside and out. The things that you do matter.

I've spent the majority of New Years Eve in my hometown at friends' houses, but I still love dressing up! I do hope you're wearing one of those sequined ensembles you have in your last post.

But otherwise, you're right- champagne is the answer because there is something in our lives that is worth celebrating everyday.

To health, happiness, and doing what puts our minds at ease--
xo, nicole.

HiFashion said...

This was amazing to read and so inspirational. I think you need to add 'come to london to party with Sherin' to that list, haha.
But I did honestly love reading this. These are all such achievable goals and ones that we can actually do.

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

yes, we are our own worst critic! but once you realize that YOU ARE IN FACT AWESOME, then it's actually pretty easy to just be hard on everyone else but yourself! haha kidding (sort of).

no one is perfect -- not one single person in this world. you decide when to be happy or not and since life won't stop for anything or anyone, choose happy! always choose happy :) that's what i do. even when this month has totally shit on me, i refuse to let that ruin my happiness. shit happens, but it's what i do with it that matters most. so i choose happy.

-kathy
Vodka and Soda

la petite noob said...

Fantastic post! I just stumbled upon your blog, and am so glad that I did - I think we all need a little reminder of the importance of self-love. Really admired your honestly throughout the post as well :)

Sara Louise said...

Amen!
Cheers to your promises to yourself and cheers to you! May your 2014 be filled with nothing but wonderful :) xoxo

Elle Sees said...

i did weekly resolutions this year and monthly ones for several years prior. my resolution is NO RESOLUTIONS! ok, i'll break that one, but instead call it "goals." ;)

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I love it! You are such a great, caring, beautiful person and you deserve the world! I understand being hard on yourself. But just so you know, you're pretty perfect the way you are :)

Elisa said...

I think we as women are generally hard on ourselves, and I agree with you, this has to change and we have to embrace who we are and love ourselves!! Here is to a wonderful new and positive year!

Rachel @ The Redhead Fashionista said...

Love this post! I think a lot of women today are hard on themselves and they're always comparing their life/bodies/etc. to that of other women. It's important to remember that you're amazing just the way you are!

Rachel
The Redhead Fashionista
The Haute Notes

Ashley said...

This will be YOUR year, girlfriend!! Can't wait to see what 2014 throws your way. XO

IamSuperMelski said...

Oh wow, well this is a lovely resolution. I am my biggest enemy and I am very hard on myself especially when I don't meet my goals. I think I need to add your resolution to my list too! =)Happy New Year!

Couture Carrie said...

We are a loooooot alike, darling, and I love these goals that you have set for yourself. I am going to borrow a few of them ;)

Happy New Year, gorgeous!!

xoxox,
CC

Iwona said...

Hi! I really like your blog! It' s very interesting:) I greet and I invite you to my blog:)