Monday, January 6, 2014

Juggling the Holidays Part I.


We would have Christmas with my dad's side of the family the Sunday before Christmas (we always celebrate it that way), then Christmas Eve I would go to my parents for dinner, then proceed to go to Edwin's for his family's huge celebration. Christmas day, I would have breakfast with his family, then leave by 11ish to spend the day with my family, where he would join us at 4ish for dinner.

The crazy thing is - it all actually went according to plan, and we were both able to be totally unstressed, and able to really enjoy the time with family.

My gift wrapping this year involved a lot of kraft paper and branches (and bags when I got really lazy).

Patrick, Edwin, and I wore our ugly sweaters (from an ugly sweater party that never happened due to a terrible snow storm) without telling anyone else that's what we were planning on doing. Obviously we were the belles of the ball.
 

I don't know if every state does this, but in Bergen County, NJ, Santa comes around on a firetruck to give out candy canes to children in different neighborhoods. Our family has no children who would go out, so since we were so festively dressed, Edwin and I decided to go get a picture with Santa and Elf.

Cole Haan boots, Rich & Skinny jeans.... and a one-of-a-kind couture sweater, obviously.

The holidays are always marked with the absence of Poppy, but now we can share stories and memories and laugh about them. It doesn't take away from missing him terribly, but helps to make him a part of our celebration.
 

Opening gifts, drinking beers, and laughing together - plus, everyone was really into selfies this year. 
 

We take gift wrapping VERY seriously.

When your cousin is 6'5", the ceiling is the focal point of a selfie.

I will not miss the gift buying and transporting element of the holidays at ALL. Not pictured: everything in my trunk. Also not pictured: the four trips it took for me to get my stuff from my apartment down to my car. Holiday season = you better work, bitch.

Currently listening to: The Vent - Big K.R.I.T. 

13 comments:

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Am happy everything worked out well doll. Looks like a fun time was had. Loved the sweaters :) We had Christmas time at home this year with our girls. It was a lot of fun. I don't get home to the states often, not had a Christmas there in years, so we don't really argue or talk about that really. But, I don't mind much. I hope the New Year is an outstanding one for you doll. Full of love, happiness and adventures and all your wishes come true too xxx

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

i LOVE gift wrap with kraft paper and sprigs of evergreen or holly. so pretty!

kathy
Vodka and Soda

HiFashion said...

Sounds like such a fun Christmas and glad to hear it all went off without a hitch!

Sara Louise said...

It looks like a wonderful time was had by all... juggling included! x

Sara Louise said...

It looks like a wonderful time was had by all... juggling included! x

Sara Louise said...

It looks like a wonderful time was had by all... juggling included! x

Sara Louise said...

It looks like a wonderful time was had by all... juggling included! x

Sara Louise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca Harasym said...

Glad that your holidays went according to plan! It sounds like it can be hard to juggle everything! Love the festive holiday looks!

Rebecca
www.winnipegstyle.ca

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Looks like a fantastic time indeed! Your sweater is awesome!

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Hello doll, I just read your comment. It is easier to be negative and to give up. But, I always think...do you want to be better and happier or do you want to continuously be down and annoyed that your not better!?! Whenever I want to give up, I think that and it pushes me to keep going. It's completely easy to give up, if it wasn't no one would give up. But, if you want the kind of life you wish for, you have to be willing to put the work in. And I'm far from perfect, it has taken years to get to where I am now. Eating disorders, abuse, and loads of other things that should have knocked me over for good a long time ago, but I am a stubborn ass & refuse to give in!! Haha. I can be my worst enemy and eventually you have to come to the point of saying to yourself...'when are you going to say that it's your turn now?? When are you going to love yourself??' We deserve love, it's what we've been made for, but for some reason our brains think we aren't worthy of it, when it's exactly what we are worth!! I watched a movie called 'Angel-A' and there's a part of it that had me in tears & was the one moment that I stopped beating myself up - it literally saved my life because I was at the end. I was trying to overcome being sexually assaulted & didn't feel I was worth living anymore & this part of the movie had me in tears and I realised bad things happen, but it doesn't mean that I'm not still worth something, my worth is not determined by others. Doll, you are gorgeous and a wonderful person & you must love yourself...love life and yourself...tell yourself this every day & soon the habit will become reality! Drive out the negative thoughts, you don't need them anymore :)) Lots of love to you doll <3

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Sounds like it went pretty well! I bet both of your families were happy to have time with each of you :)

Um and even in an ugly Christmas sweater you still look adorable!!

Elle Sees said...

i've always had a weird philosophy on holidays with loved ones. i would rather spend them with my family than with the family of the person i'm dating. maybe if we all lived in the same town, it'd be fine, and of course i don't have kids that need to see both sides of family, but i've just never enjoyed it. it never felt like christmas to me. i know, so weird!