Friday, June 6, 2014

First Annual Craft Beer Tasting Party/Game Night.

I'm taking a tiny break from Paris posts (though you can catch up on days one, two, and three if you're interested!) to share a really fun idea for a party with friends, and update on something that happened well before my trip to Paris (time seriously just keeps getting away from me, more and more!).

Ever since I bought my condo over a year ago, I haven't fully taken advantage of having people over in the space. I didn't throw a housewarming party (because there's a decent amount of room, but I didn't know HOW many people could fit, I didn't know if I should have a friend party/family party, etc), and usually just have Edwin or Tonya over, on their own. 

I wanted to change that, and decided that the best way to go about this would be to get a group of my good friends together and throw a Craft Beer Tasting/Game Night Party. The premise was simple - everyone was just going to bring a new craft beer that they hadn't tried yet, but had wanted to, and we would eat, try a lot of different beers, and play Cards Against Humanity - which was exactly what happened.

This group of friends is especially awesome - there is never a worry with them about someone not bringing something, not wanting to play games or participate in what's going on, and everyone just interacts really well together, even when they haven't met before, which is definitely a necessity for any party that you go to or throw.

I cooked like a beast - since people were already bringing drinks to share, I didn't want to burden anyone with bringing food as well, so I took care of the cooking/snacks, which was actually a lot of fun, and allowed me to use some Pinterest recipes I've been wanting to try.

Asian veggie pizzas (with Hoison sauce, and sauteed carrots/red peppers/green onions/mushrooms) - they were a big hit!

Caprese salad bites, with a balsamic reduction on the side.

Setting up, as things were getting ready.

Homemade little pretzels (taken with my iPhone, so sorry for a lack of photo quality!).

Cowboy caviar, which tasted JUST like Cool Ranch Doritos when it was on blue chips. So good!

Laying out more things.

Mini margherita pizzas.  

It was off to a great start from the beginning - also, this River Horse beer is made in NJ, and it is PHENOMENAL if you like hoppy beers! 
 

The labeling of cups was very important, and everyone took it very seriously. 


It was a massive success, and no one really got too drunk, since everyone was just sharing - each bottle was split between at least 4-5 people.

Grizzly Adams checking everything into Untappd (I forgot he had a beard at this point - I miss it 0%).

What I love about this group of friends was that after we had eaten and started tasting beers, everyone said, "Okay, let's start playing games!" Games are my favorite, and having people who want to play them is extra fun and important.

And I didn't even win, which isn't very fair. This is seriously one of the most fun games you can bring to a party - though you learn that your friends are absolutely terrible human beings.

I would go as far as to saying that the food was a pretty big hit.

Maturity at its finest - apparently I invited 14 year old boys over for a party. 

And, trash day was maybe why my neighbors now think I'm an alcoholic.


All in all, if you're a beer fan, I would say this is an awesome way to get a group of your favorite people together, try new things, and play games all night. Extra thanks to my next door neighbor for helping me carry out boxes and tell me he wants an invite next time! :)

What are your favorite beers? Or favorite types of parties to have with your friends?

Currently: Taking the day off, and getting ready to lounge by the pool listening to the Caravan Palace Pandora station. 

10 comments:

Kizzy Von Doll said...

Hiya lovely!! This looks like a huge amount of fun!! I don't really drink beer, but I would have joined in any ways, haha!! Yummy food and great friends, that's what makes the best times!! Am pleased it went so well and you enjoyed yourself :)) Have a beautiful weekend my dear, loves xx

MakeMeUpMia said...

What an AWESOME time!! Seriously, all of that food has me drooling over here!

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda said...

omg all that food and drinks?!?? i miss those kinds of parties....this summer i swear i'm going to throw something like that but i'll be an afternoon thing because we all know what an old hag i am and i can only stay up till 8pm :)

Ashley said...

Um, YUM. And FUN. Wish we lived closer!!! This looks like the best. :)

Elle Sees said...

i don't drink beer, but i know i would have had an awesome time!! it looks like so much fun!

yours truly, melissa said...

Looks like such an awesome time! I'm terrible at hostessing and having people over (I think I put too much pressure on myself :-/

Also your food spread looks delish!

Sara Louise said...

I'm chuckling over the chalkboard! I guess I'm just a 14 year old boy at heart ;)

Elisabeth Sedlachek said...

The food, the mood - it all looks fantastic. xx

www.todaymyway.com

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

What a FUN idea! This looks like such a great party!

Liz @ Fitness Blondie said...

OK hello. You're gorgeous.

You know how to make some banging food- those Asian pizzas look to die for! What did you use as the crust?

Cards Against Humanity is the best ever too. so damn funny!